Fire leaves family homeless

 

Scio house fire 5-11
By AMY GAREIS
News-Herald Staff Writer

SCIO – A Scio family was left homeless after a devastating blaze gutted their newly remodeled home along West Main Street on May 5. Chad Ellenberger and his fiancée were home with friends and three children around 10:15 p.m. when they were alerted to the flames. They managed to escape but a dog died in the blaze.

Flames reportedly shot 15-20 feet into the air, even though it was located next door to the Scio Fire Hall. Fire Chief Roger Bethel said crews from Scio, Jewett, Bowerston and Cadiz battled the blaze for five hours. The flames also damaged the side and possibly the roof of the fire hall. The case is under investigation through the state fire marshal’s office.

The Muskingum Lakes Chapter of the American Red Cross and local food bank were assisting them but generous community members were also pitching in to donate clothing. Items are being accepted at Harrison North Elementary School and sizes include men’s extra large shirts, size 13 shoes and size 34/34 pants; women’s shirts in 0-3, size 2-3 pants and shoes in size 7 1/2 to 8; girls’ clothes in sizes 6-6X, size 7 pants and 7-8 or adult small shirts and shoes in 7-8 and youth 1-2; and boys’ 4T clothes and size 9-10 shoes.

Read the full story in the May 11, 2012 print edition of the Harrison News-Herald.

NH Photo/AMY GAREIS

Tags:

 
 
 

0 Comments

 

You can be the first one to leave a comment.

 

Leave a Comment